Tucked away on Grafton Road our school was built in the 1880s. The foundations of the school were laid in 1883 and the school opened its doors in 1884 with three large departments for infants, boys and girls. In total there were nearly 1800 children when the school first opened!
Originally the school was named Carlton Road School, because it was situated on what was then called Carlton Road. Early in the 1890’s the road was renamed to Grafton Road, but the school kept the name ‘Carlton’.
Up until 1886 the school building housed separate infant and junior schools, but in April 1886 the two schools merged to form Carlton Primary School.
Over the years the school has been modernised and now looks very different. Three mezzanines have been built, the front school office refurbished, and the Carlton Community Learning Centre (CCLC) built. We have also created a fantastic outdoor learning classroom that is enjoyed by all the children. However, throughout all of this change and modernisation, we are proud to say that the school has maintained its historical appearance and character.
Inside the school however, the school is up-to-date and successfully delivers a 21st century curriculum.
In January 2008 our school and the local community celebrated Foundation Day and in February 2009, the community celebrated Carlton’s 125th birthday!
Carlton School Today
Our school is a two form entry school.
Each class has capacity for 30 children and our Nursery offers 52 full-time places.
We have named each class after a precious gemstone
The school is organised into 3 Key Stages. EYFS (Early years foundation stage), key stage 1 (year 1 and 2) and key stage 3 (year 3-6).
Our nursery and reception classes are situated on the ground floor. Last year we moved year 1 down to the ground floor so that all the pupils could benefit from access to outdoor learning.
Year 2 and 3 are situated on teh first floor, with years 4 to 6 on the top floor.