Who Can Apply
Anyone can apply for a place at our school. For early Reception applications please follow Camden’s online application process on https://www.eadmissions.org.uk/eAdmissions/app. The deadline for a September 2019 Reception application is January 15th 2019. You can apply from September onwards. Carlton Primary and Nursery School is a community school so abides strictly by the admissions guidelines of Camden Local Authority. This means that in the event of an over-subscription, the following criteria will be applied to applicants:
- Looked after children or a child who was previously looked after but immediately after being looked after became the subject to an adoption, child arrangement, or special guardianship order.
- Applicants who have a brother or sister living at the same address on the school’s roll when they join.
- Applicants whom the Authority accepts have an exceptional social or medical need for a place at the school in question. Parents / carers will need to submit a case supported by appropriate professional evidence from a doctor, social worker or similar professional. That evidence will need to support the link between the need to support the link between the need and our school.
- Children whose parent is a qualified teacher teaching at this school for two years or more at the time of application and / or children of a qualified teacher teaching at this school who has been recruited to fill a vacancy for which there is a demonstrable skill shortage,
- Distance measured in a straight line from the child’s home to the centre of the school, using the local authority’s computerised measuring system, with those living closer to the school receiving higher priority.
How to Apply
Applying for a Reception to Year 6 Place
You can download and complete an application form (see right). Once completed, post to us at: Carlton Primary School, Grafton Road, London NW5 4AX. Or you can return by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Alternatively, you can visit the school office and pick up a paper copy which can be completed and handed directly back to the office.
Applying for a Nursery Place
From September 2017, the process for applying for a nursery place has changed.
All 3-4 year olds are entitled to 15 hours free nursery education.
Government Enhanced 15 hours education
Families that meet the criteria set out below will be entitled to a further 15 hours. The criteria are:
– both parents, or the sole parent in a one parent family, must be working
– each parent must have a weekly minimum income equivalent to 16 hours at the national minimum wage or living wage, and
– neither parent must have income of more than £100,000 per year
If you wish to claim the hours, visit the following website:
You will be told if you are eligible.
If you are eligible, you will receive an 11 digit code. Please print this off and take it to the school. You can then complete an application form. Once you bring your 11 digit code to the school, our Family Support Worker will explain how you check your ongoing eligibility.
Camden Enhanced 15 hours education
In some cases, families will not qualify for the full 30 hours government offer but may qualify for the Camden Enhanced Offer.
The criteria is set out below:
To be eligible for the Camden Enhanced Offer you must:
– Be a resident in Camden
– Not be eligible for the Government 30 hours for working parents
Or you must meet one of the following criteria:
– Your family meets the criteria for free school meals (see: camden.gov.uk/fsm)
– Your family receives working tax credits and your household income is less than
– Your child is being ‘looked after’ by the local authority or is a child who has ‘left care’*
– Your child has a statement of special educational needs (SEN) or an education,
health and care plan*
– You receive disability living allowance for your child*
– You receive support from the National Asylum Support Service (NASS) through part 6 of the Immigration and Asylum Act
Find more information on the Camden website:
Please apply online.
When to Apply
School admission applications can be made at any time of the year.
If applying in advance for a Reception place, applications need to be made directly to the Camden Local Authority by their set deadline. If you have any queries or questions, please contact the school and we will be happy to help.
What Happens Next
Once we receive your child’s application form we will:
- Check if we have a place available to offer you
- If we have a place, we will offer you an introductory meeting with the Head Teacher
- Once you have met with the Head Teacher we will arrange a start date for your child
- We will then follow this up with a letter confirming the start date
If you have applied for a Nursery or Reception place, you will be contacted by our Family Support Worker (FSW) to arrange a home visit. For Reception applications, this will be once you have been officially allocated a place at Carlton by Camden Local Authority.
A home visit is an opportunity for us to meet you and your family as part of our transition process. It will give you the opportunity to ask questions and find out more about your child starting our school.
Want to Find Out More?
If you would like to know more about our admissions procedure please read our Admission Policy.
There are regular tours of the school and we advise prospective families to visit so that you can make an informed decision. If you are interested in coming along, please contact the school to find out when the next tour is.